An exciting opportunity has arisen for the key role of a Quality Engineer based at our Gateshead site, near Newcastle. The post-holder will manage all quality activities producing quality plans, ITP’s, carry out internal audits and create quality KPIs for the Gateshead RAS business. The successful candidate will demonstrate a keen, 'can-do' attitude and a high degree of flexibility.
The role holder will also work closely with the Project, Procurement, Engineering, Sales and Aftermarket Service Teams to drive continuous improvement within the organisation.
- Maintain and/or govern elements of the Technical Package of the product which clearly define the manufacturing/build & test process and control it effectively.
- Development of Quality Plans and Inspection & Test Plans in accordance with customer, NATO, and ISO requirements.
- Verify material specification and certification and maintain equipment data books.
- Conduct internal audits according to KM Audit Programme.
- Work with interfacing teams (Engineering, Product Management, Site ME, Quality, etc.) and suppliers to ensure technical requirements are understood and accounted for.
- Identify opportunities for new or improved processes to meet current or future requirements.
- Identify and share best practice; capture and utilise lessons learned.
- Support site quality to effectively manage supplier non-conformance ensuring robust problem resolution including root cause and corrective action through 7 Step or 8D as appropriate.
- Support site business functions in the implementation and management of containment activities and resolving customer issues.
- Analyse quality performance data to identify escalation requirements and improvement opportunities.
- Participate and lead acceptance events (FAT, Pre-Delivery Verification and Source Inspection as appropriate).
- Support Category Managers with technical knowledge during strategy development and supplier selection.
- Ensure manufacturing processes comply with relevant legal requirements (regulatory, HS&E, etc.) & customer requirements.
- Use the methods described in the CM Quality Management System to manage and execute tasks, to ensure we comply with the corporate processes and procedures.
- Check supplier activities are in line with KM HSE requirements (i.e. ISO14001 / ISO45001 compliance).
- Comply with company HS&E Policies and Procedures and identify risks and opportunities for improvement.
Qualifications and experience
- Professionally Qualified Engineer for more than 5 years (Degree or other national equivalent).
- Major understanding of Manufacturing processes relevant to the business.
- General awareness of Manufacturing Systems relevant to the business.
- Knowledge of LEAN, Six Sigma philosophy and tools.
- Knowledge of ISO9001; ISO14001; ISO45001 and related, ISO TS 16949.
- Basic understanding of QHSE management system implementation and risk assessment.
- Knowledge of Problem Solving Resolution tools and techniques (8D, root cause analysis, containment activities).
- Understanding of Manufacturing Engineering processes relevant to their role in the product lifecycle.
- ISO9001 lead Auditor.
- Valid EU Passport or other current permission to work in the UK.
You are able to
- act on own initiative, make things happen and accept responsibility for the results
- use a methodical and systematic approach, plan ahead, define clear priorities and allocate resources effectively
- analyse complex issues and problems and come up with rational judgments
- demonstrate specialist knowledge and expertise in own area
- communicate in a clear, precise, and structured way
- co-operate well with others, share knowledge, experience, information, and support others in the pursuit of team goals
What we can offer you
With us, you will be offered a competitive salary and benefit packages with good development opportunities in an international environment. We have flexible work hours and holiday arrangements in addition to a good pension and insurance scheme. We offer an inspiring and safe work-environment and the possibility to work with sustainable and exciting solutions for the future.
Kongsberg Maritime, a subsidiary of KONGSBERG, is a global marine technology company, providing innovative and reliable technology solutions for all marine industry sectors including merchant, offshore, subsea, and naval. Headquartered in Kongsberg, Norway, the company has manufacturing, sales and service facilities in 34 countries. Kongsberg Maritime is part of KONGSBERG, an international, knowledge-based group delivering high-technology systems and solutions to clients within the oil and gas industry, merchant marine, defence and aerospace.
Our Deck Machinery and Motion Control division owns, develops, and delivers world class handling solutions, with focus on system solutions and integration driving increased efficiency in our customers' operations. The division is responsible for product and technology development, supply chain operations and project delivery for all Kongsberg Maritime’s winches and handling solutions.
At Kongsberg, we believe in tackling challenging problems and delivering extreme performance for extreme conditions. We do that through excellent products and services developed for delivering the greatest benefits to our customers.
WORLD CLASS – through people, technology, and dedication